Saturday, November 9, 2013

Firey Apple Butter

This is the time of year that I love to stay in the kitchen and just bake. I enjoy cooking...but there is something about baking that just makes me smile! Especially when I share said treats with everyone and see the smiles of happiness and the soft sounds of bliss! Mmmmmmmm! Teehee!

As we all know I love giving my baking deeds a lovely twist, squeeze, and half a bottle later of alcohol! Oh deliciousness! My newest escapade is apple butter! How did I add a twist to this lovely delight? Fireball Whiskey! Granted you can't taste the whiskey itself so much. That delightful cinnamon flavor of this liqueur shows its face though! It adds a depth to this butter that the lame watered down shit at the store can't even come close to touching! I use to buy apple butter. Not anymore! I will forever now on make my own! Especially since this is such an easy thing to do!

Enough of my jibber jabber! Onto the recipe!

I've been wanting to get back into canning for some time now. We've experimented with a few things. But, only having a bit of info doesn't help much. So when I came across a canning book at Target for less then $5.00 I grabbed it up in a heartbeat! It has all the basic info I need to begin my canning escapades!

Interested? Then hit the clearance rack at Target or go to Amazon!

Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving

Using their recipe as a guide line I had some fun!

Firey Apple Butter

2lbs Apples (7-8 medium sized apples)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup Fireball Whiskey (Or your favorite cinnamon alcohol!)
2 cups sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1 tsp Allspice

Wash, core, peel, cube your apples.
In a sauce pan place your apples, water, and whiskey. You will simmer the apples until they are soft. They will become dark in color, absorbing the water and whiskey entirely. They will gain a "transparent" look. You'll be able to use a silicon spatula to cute a piece in half.
Slide the apples into a food processor and pulse it until you have a consistency similar to apple sauce. You don't want to liquefy it!
Pour this mixture back into the pan you used earlier.
Add the sugar and spices!
Cook this slowly over a medium to low heat.
This will thicken the pulp.
As it thickens you want to continually stir it so it doesn't stick to the pan.
The smell is so delightful as it fills the kitchen with apples and cinnamon!
As the mixture reaches the gelling point.....what the hell is that you ask?
               (I used the "Sheeting Test". Using a spoon dip it into the mixture and over a separate plate tipped it sideways to see how the butter would slide off. Following this awsome picture that came from said book above on page 29 you will make perfect butter!)


Once it hits that perfect gelling point transfer it into a glass container. Allow it cool a bit before spreading it over some delicious bread!

20131107_111105-1.jpg
I made two containers this size. Small 10oz Pyrex bowls. 



My bestie Sara, who is vegan, looooooved this! As did my co-workers! I plan to make more of this as Christmas presents this year! Woohoo!
                                                               
Happy Baking!
Dottie ^_^



1 comment: