Monday, December 3, 2012

Beer Bread

This one has been a long time in coming. Egad I had posted pictures of this yummy stuff on my tumblr way back in August I think!!! What are we going to do with me......love me anyways maybe?

hehehe

There are two recipes I tried. They were both ok.
These aren't my recipes. But, they were easy and good end product I wanted to share.

* * *
I liked this one Better.

3 cups flour (sifted)
3 teaspoons baking powder (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
1 teaspoon salt (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
1/4 cup sugar
1 (12 ounce) can beer
1/2 cup melted butter (1/4 cup will do just fine)
Directions:


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Mix dry ingredients and beer.

Pour into a greased loaf pan.

Pour melted butter over mixture.

Bake 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.

UPDATED NOTES: This recipe makes a very hearty bread with a crunchy, buttery crust. If you prefer a softer crust (like a traditional bread) mix the butter into the batter instead of pouring it over the top.

Sifting flour for bread recipes is a must-do. Most people just scoop the 1 cup measure in the flour canister and level it off. That compacts the flour and will turn your bread into a "hard biscuit" as some have described. That's because they aren't sifting their flour! If you do not have a sifter, use a spoon to spoon the flour into the 1 cup measure. Try it once the "correct" way and you will see an amazing difference in the end product.

I have had many email from you kind folks about using non-alcoholic beverages instead of beer. That is fine to do but I highly recommend adding a packet of Dry Active Yeast or 2 teaspoons of Bread (Machine) Yeast so that you get a proper rise.

The final result should be a thick, hearty and very tasteful bread, NOT A BRICK! ;).

Thank you all for the incredibly nice comments and those of you who left a bad review - learn to sift sift SIFT! You will be amazed at the results you get.

* * *

Easy...but only OK.


Ingredients

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Butter a loaf pan and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and beer and mix well. The mixture should be sticky. Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes. At the last 3 minutes of baking, remove from oven, brush the top of the loaf with butter and return to oven.

* * *

Each recipe has it pros and it's cons. With the first one you can adjust the recipe to taste. Such as the salt. I didn't care for the heavy salt flaver the bread had after baking it. I would follow the recipe once as is. Then make adjustments to it.

The second one is just a great scoop and mix set up. It was pretty good. But, once again it was just to salty for me. But, you won't know if it's right for you if you don't try!!!

I had a lot of fun trying different flavors of beer with each bread, 
 
On hand at the time I had New Castles Werewolf. Rascal's Wild Red. Harpoons UFO Pumpkin.

Harpoon's Pumpkin was such a great wheat beer! One of the few pumpkin ones I was able to try this year!
Now don't go looking for this right now! But, Harpoon does have a seasonal out as well!
Back to the bread! This was ok. It didn't hold a strong pumpkin taste as I was hoping it would. It ended up being my least favorite out of the three. 

Ever tried the beer...Wild Blue? This is by the same company. OMG!!! What a smooth delicious beer! If you get a hankering for Raspberries...this is the way to go! Super smooth. Sweet but not overly so! The smoothness of the beer itself is what makes this such a winner with me! Especially with how the balanced the flavor and all that great beer stuff! hahaha! 

This bread came out a little sweeter and was the favorite all in all even among my family and friends.


If you like Newcastle...then you have probably tried this beer and you either liked it or poured it down the sink.
I don't personally care for Newcastle  My hubbs does though. So I originally bought it for him....and that didn't go so well. But, the BREAD!!! 
It was as if it was made to go in bread and chili and anything else you can think of that needs a savory beer flavor added to it!
I added some shredded cheese to the top of this loaf when I pulled it out of the oven. It was still hot enough to melt it so i just left it alone. 
Now, I have had a few people come in and look for this beer just to drink it. So when they bring it back out next year grab a six pack and try it out! You just never know unless you try something new.

Dottie ^_^


No comments:

Post a Comment