Saturday, September 29, 2012

Beer Coffee Cake


As most of you well know I love trying out new beers! Not always your average everyday beers either. But, in general the beers you look at and decide not to get because of the price. Those happen to be my favorite kinds of beers to get. Especially the fruity tootie ones!!!! 
You might be wondering, what happens when I don't like this really expensive beer. I'm screwed right? Wrong. This is now where my creativity kicks in and I begin to think of what the beer would taste good with or in! In my house alcohol never goes to waste. I've spent money on it, so why waste it? Or why give it away? Nope nope. Into the food it goes! Because we all know how I love my food! Especially my sweets! Egad my sweets! Talking about sweets.....let me tell you about this new beer I tired.
Black coffee drinkers Unite!!!!! Is this ever the beer for you! When I popped this sucker open I thought it smelled delicious! I was super excited about it. That first taste...made me look at the bottle and want to grab my cream and sugar to add to it! Now, don't get me wrong. The beer was actually really good. But, one thing to keep in mind, I'm one of those people that ruins a good cup of coffee with cream and sugar! And a LOT of it too! 
-chuckles-
Now if you love your coffee black you are going to love this beer, It had a nice heavy body, it is a stout! The flavor of coffee was a PERFECT blend! Then with the added notes of dark chocolate to compliment it.....I became very excited! Sure, I didn't personally care for the beer itself, but it gave me a great idea!
Now what made me decide to try this beer in the first place. There have been a few people come through Dixie and have just LOVED this beer enough to buy two packs at a time. This is a great beer and I look forward to trying more beer from this company! They did a superb job! 
Now, On to my moment of creative amazingness! 
I have found that beer makes some of the most moist cakes I have ever made in my life. Believe me, I have been baking from sractch since I was 8 years old. When I used a cake mix for the first time. I had looked at the box. Then looked at my mom and with my eyebrows up in my hair line I asked her in disbelief, "That's it?!" She laughed and nodded telling me. "Yes, that's it Dottie."
I looooove coffee cake. So why not give coffee cake a little bit of that awsome coffee flavor with this beer! So the recipe follows! Open up a beer take a sip, then if you like it, measure what you need for this cake and enjoy the rest of the bottle! I only used about 2/3 of a bottle for this recipe. Something to keep in mind. Maybe try opening two bottles and making three cakes at one time. You never know! 
Have fun with this and happy Baking!!!
Dottie ^_^

Beer Coffee Cake
Preheat Oven to 375!!!
Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon cinnamon



Cake:
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour (sift before measuring)
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg
1 1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup melted butter
1 cup Beer
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Topping. In small mixing bowl, sift dry ingredients. Blend with fork until crumbly or if you have the hand tool to cut the butter in. Cut the butter in until it is small crumbles. Set aside.
(Example of the hand tool. Hand Tool )

Sift dry ingredients together (Flour, baking powder, salt).

In a medium bowl, beat egg and sugar and  melted butter. 
Add beer and vanilla. 
Stir in flour mixture and mix well.

Pour batter into a greased and floured  7"x11" dish.
 (I have a 2qt pyrex dish that I used that this fit perfect in!!!)

 Sprinkle topping crumb mixture evenly over batter. Or if you are like me....I forgot the topping and added it for the last 5 minutes of cook time and it was perfectly fine!

 Bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake tests done.
Sprinkle Powder Surgar to your heart's content all over this bad boy and serve piping hot with a hot cup of coffee! The best ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment