Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Best Christmas Cookie Ever! Hungarian Nut Horns

This recipe is a family tradition of mine and my family. We make it only around the holidays and only a few times! My husband loves this cookie and looks forward to the first batch I make each year which is normally about Thanksgiving. I average about 3 batches a year. The amount of confectioner sugar needed makes this a very messy creation! Oh, but so well worth it to have this delicate cookie melt in your mouth. Especially warm from the oven!

One of my favorite memories is of last year when my oldest, Marilyn Deville, helped me to roll this cookie out. My floor was covered in confectioner sugar shaped tiny feet. I was an idiot and had her wearing BLACK pants...yep stupid me. So to say the least....my floor, me, and my kid looked as if we had a good romp in the snow! It was so well worth it especially to see the faces of my family when they walked in the door and had a batch of cookies waiting for them!

Ok, so enough of my reminiscing! Onward with the recipe so that you can make your own memories and fill those hungry tummies!

Hungarian Nut Horns

Pastry
4 cups Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 pkg (or 1 Tbls) Yeast
1 1/2 cup real butter (3 sticks)
1/2 cup sour cream
3 egg yolks beaten (save the egg whites!)

Combine all ingredients and mix in mixer with bread hook until mixed and smooth. Set aside.

Filling
3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/2 finely chopped pecans
1 tsp vanilla

Beat egg whites until stiff using the whisk attachment. Add sugar gradually while mixing. With a spoon stir in vanilla and nuts.

Divide Pastry into 4 parts. For each of the parts do the following:

-Using confectioners sugar instead of flour roll out the pastry using a pastry cloth and rolling pin. Or just keep the rolling pin nicely coated in sugar as you roll out the pastry!
(Use as much confectioner's sugar as necessary to keep the dough from sticking)
-Roll the pastry out into a 11"x15" rectangle....spread 1/4 of the filling over the pastry and spread it out evenly.
-Cut the pastry into 1" strips and then slice the strips in half. Roll each strip carefully into little rolls and place on a lightly greased pan. (Or cut 16 wedge shapes. Rolling the pastry from the large end to the point for the "Horn" look.)
-Bake at 400 for 12-20 minutes until just done. A light browning on top.
-Remove from the oven and IMMEDIATELY roll each horn in confectioner's sugar. Wait a few minutes and roll them a second time in the sugar.
-ENJOY!!!

Yes, a very messy and time consuming cookie....but egad it is so well worth the work! Just remember to enjoy the process and enjoy these delicious creations!
Dottie ^_^
11-30-11

No comments:

Post a Comment